Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Brief Summary of issues in I'tikaaf

Alhamdu Lillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'Ala Rasulillahi Amma Ba'd.

What is I'tikaaf?


It is seclusion in the Masjid in a specific manner

What is its ruling?

It is Sunnah and during the last ten days of Ramadaan it becomes Mu'akkafah (emphasized) since the Messenger :salAllaahu alayhi wa salaam: did this regularly and it becomes compulsory if it is that one has made an oath to make I'tikaaf.

As for what many do in making it compulsory to make I'tikaaf 40 days througout the year then this is an innovation.

What is the time for entering and leaving the Masjid?

The time for entering into I'tikaaf is after sunset on the 21st night and the time of leaving is after sunset on the night of 'Eed (before the 'Eed prayer)

What are the conditions of I'tikaaf?

There are five conditions:
Islam since no action is accepted without it.
Sanity since worship is not correct from someone who is insane.
Ability to diffrentiate/ Puberty.
Intention for I'tikaaf
To stay in a Masjid which has Jumu'ah. As for saying that one is making I'tikaaf in his room or the place of prayer in his home or outside his home in which Jumu'ah is not established then this is not I'tikaaf.
As for fasting it is not a condition of I'tikaaf according to the strongest opinion.

What nullifies I'tikaaf?

Two things nullify I'tikaaf:

(1) Sexual intercourse and this is by consensus.

(2) Coming out of the Masjid without neccesity. Hence if food can be brought to the person he cannot come out of the Masjid. Also the person can bathe, make Wuduu outside the Masjid etc.

What are the ettiquettes of I'tikaaf?

They are to keep busy with the obidience of Allah ta'ala by remembering him and reading the Qur'an and staying away from that which would keep one busy from this.

And Allah knows best.

Compiled from Al Iltifaat Hawl Ahkaam Al I'tikaaf by Abu Ammar Yaasir Al 'Adani.

2 comments:

Yasmine said...

I was just thinking maybe its a typo but did you meant INTENTION instead of Islam (on the conditions of I'tikaaf)

Yasmine said...

oh okay after reading it I think you meant like they have to be muslim (like have tawheed)... right? because I thought that was a given anyways if you can elaborate more that would be helpful. Atleast for me :) insha'Allah